1.07.2010

Much awaited part 2

Part 2 will deal with our front line and how to adjust to losing (in my opinion) our best player, Charlie Davies.

First a little background: I believe that during the Confed Cup, Bradley unleashed his plan for how we would beat the top teams. I think it was based on other sides looking to pull in their defenders in on the attack. So he countered with putting 2 extremely fast and energetic forwards up front. This does 2 things: First, it tires out the defenders. There is nothing more tiring than chasing around someone faster than you for 90 minutes. Also, when they do pull that defender in the attack, we send our Usain Bolts the other way when you lose the ball. Thus 3-0 over Egypt, 2-0 over Spain; 2-0 halftime lead over Brazil. It's hard to argue with that kind of success.

Now this only really works when you have 3 players (Davies, Altidore, Donovan) with that kind of speed. It changes everything when you replace one of them with a slower player for 2 reasons. First off, Davies, Donovan, and Altidore are all about the same speed so they can keep up with each other during that kind of attack. Adding a Dempsey or a some of those yahoos from the MLS just leaves them in the dust. Second, without the double speed threat up front, teams can just adjust the defense to Altidore's side and pull the defender from the other side in on the attack without any consequence.

Now I know this will never happen, but this is what I would do: Put the only other fast player I know we have upfront on the left, Freddy Adu. I think he's been playing out of position at midfield. Put him on an island up front where he can use his speed and can run at players and only have to beat 1 and have 40 yards in front of him after that. Also, he's left footed. This will keep that triangle of speed that even the top teams could not handle.

So to recap Keith's 2010 USMNT lineup
Howard
Spector Demerit Guch Bradley
Donovan Bocanegra Feilhalber Dempsey
Altidore Adu

4 comments:

  1. Counterattacking soccer: the hallmark of teams who have speed but maybe not the skill of their opponents, see for example US v Spain; US v Brazil; Lancers v 76'ers, Lancers v Phoenix, Lancers v Fury, etc.
    One thing I have noticed in comparing the Bradley system to the Arena system is that Arena used a wing cross attack (from the counter) into a big guy in the center, i.e., McBride; whereas Bradley has his forwards attack into the center and shoot and relies on trailing players on the weakside to complete the chance. To me this only requires two players not three.
    Not sure about Adu, I don't think he fits into this system. He will be effective against less skilled teams when the US can play a build up game. I'd use Dempsey with Altidore and bring in another big defensive mid.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love the reasoning, Bernardo but I don't know if Freddy has that kind of speed and it does highlight that no one will adequately replace Davies in this WC.

    As far as the counter-attack as a tactic (strategy? both?), I hope we don't rely on it. I think we are better than that. Not to say that Donovan, Altidore, and a 3rd speed demon are not strengths we should use, I just think we can hang skills-wise with some of the big teams in the world.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Before I would even consider bringing Adu to South Africa, much less start him, he would need to play with whatever club he is currently on. He just moved to some club I have never heard of to a country I can't recall right now. Whatever it is, he needs to play before he is considered for a spot in the squad.

    ReplyDelete
  4. after reviewing Mr. Adu's current playing schedule, which equal none, I would agree that he would not be the right guy. I would be willing to substitute Cherundolo in the back (he had a great game against Costa Rica) to possibly move bradley up to mid and dempsey up front.

    ReplyDelete