4.07.2010

Pro-target man or anti-target man?

That is the question.

At the Rapids game on Saturday, 4 members of Hunter FC discussed this issue and while I'd like to say I remember everyone's opinions, I don't. Also, we didn't get to hear from Peter on this either.

Where I come down: strongly anti-target man. I don't believe the style of play that results from the target man strategy is the way soccer should be played. Feeding long balls into a forward in hopes that he/she can create something is not pretty nor fun to watch in my opinion.

P.S. It was beanie day at the Rapids game, hence the matching beanies.


4 comments:

  1. Whilst I agree with Julie, I must say there are a lot of factors to consider. I think a lot of it has to do with the quality of your midfield. If your midfield is able to keep the ball on the floor, then keep it on the floor. However, most midfields aren't as good as Argentina's was in 2006, so you need a little variety.

    My favorite combination is a target forward with a deadly finisher next to him. I think the 4-5-1 with a target forward is a waste of time and should be abolished.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Depends on the players on the team. One name that argues for the target "man" system would be Michelle Akers Stahl. If you don't have a Michelle then probably don't use the system. It's not an attractive style of play.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am on the anti-target man/woman side, but I can see both Peter and Dad's points on this issue. If your best player is a target man/woman then a coach would certainly have to adjust to their personnel.
    I think most of us would agreee that it is not ideal and we would never intentionally look to build a team in the target man/woman style. Its pretty lame and ineffective against any opponent that has the slightest clue

    ReplyDelete
  4. depends on the team make up, but i agree it leads to unattractive futbol. i do think it's ok to use from time to time. for example, you're up 2-1, with ten mins left, and can't play keep away, so you have to do what you have to do. just win baby. in sum, i think it should be abolished in games i have no rooting interest, but if my team needs to do it to win, so be it. just win baby!

    ReplyDelete