7.12.2010

My World Cup Best XI

Ok, I tried putting together a line-up, but the truth is mine would have a goalie, 8 midfielders and 2 forwards.

So here are my top 10 mids:

Honorable Mention: Michael Bradley (USA)
10) Dos Santos (Mexico)
9) Lionel Messi (ARG) He plays where he wants and made the most impact in his midfield role.
8) Cesc Fabregas (ESP) He was so good (and is my fave player period), he makes it in his super sub role.
7) Kevin Prince Boateng (Ghana)
6) Thomas Muller (Germany)
5) Landon Donovan (USA)
4) Bastian Schweinsteiger (where else?)
3) Wesley Sneidjer (Holland)
2) Ineista (Espana)
1) Xavi (Espana)

5 comments:

  1. Some notable players left off of an otherwise fine list:

    David Villa (scored 5 of their 7 goals)
    Diego Forlan (the most impressive striker from distance in WC history)
    Honda (other than the name and appearance, you would think he was South American)

    Busts:
    Pretty much everyone who had a nike commercial about writing history
    Kaka
    Ronaldo
    Messi
    Rooney
    Robihno

    ReplyDelete
  2. Agree with Keith on adding Villa, Forlan, and Honda. Disagree that Messi was a bust. Surprised both of you left Robben off the list. I can't stand him, and glad he choked on a breakaway, but he was critical to Holland being second-best.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yeah, I left off Robben on principle. As I told Pete, he was brilliant but class-less. Villa and Forlan- best strikers by far.

    ReplyDelete
  4. It's a pretty good list but I would make it a dirty dozen by adding Forlan and Iker Casillas as a third striker and a GK.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Peter's comments: "I would move Landon down a smidge - Mueller was fantastic and should be in the top 5 for sure.

    Good list though.

    I like Forlan and Suarez - they were fantastic. Cavani was good as well, I guess that's why Uruguay made it to the semifinals.

    Robben is a petulant force. Pain in the ass to root for, but very talented.

    Spain's midfield is probably in the conversation for best ever."

    ReplyDelete