6.24.2010

Just another Landon Donovan Goal

Things I've done since 12:00 yesterday:

- Watched a replay of THE GOAL at least 20 times.
- Watched the ENTIRE MATCH a 2nd time last night.
- Watched countless youtube videos of reactions from bars across the country.
- Cried/Hugged/Yelled/Screamed

Also, please know that I'm watching the last 5 minutes of the match as I write this (3rd time I've done that tonight.)

I try not to overdo it with sporting events. The odd football win in October, the extra innings win in June, the OT winner in a hockey game in February - those are fun events that should be enjoyed. A stoppage time winner to stay in the World Cup - that's an event that NEEDS to be celebrated and remembered. My buddy sent me a text a few minutes afterward saying "this is why we follow sports." Well yes, this is exactly why we follow sports - it's for moments like these where it's quite alright to high-five/hug people you've never seen before, you will never see again, but whom you'll never forget.

So, we move on to Saturday. This is a game I will be missing since I will be reffing a professional game that no one in the world will care about (including, possibly, the players themselves.) So, I'm really f'in hoping that we win on Saturday because I want to see this team play again. I want to see what we can do at our second crack at a WC Quarterfinal. So, let's go on and beat Ghana, get a little revenge for 2006, and let's get to the quarterfinals.

No comments:

Post a Comment