6.23.2010

US vs Algeria

Watched the first half at home. Very, very frustrating. Lucky they hit the bar, we couldn't finish, and there was another goal disallowed due to poor refereeing (I agree with my Dad on this one - there is bias, and corruption, and the world's not as perfect as some would like to believe).

Left for work at halftime. Listened to the first 20 of the second in the car. It was more frustration. By 75 minutes I made my way into the waiting area outside the Board room. There were three others watching the match live waiting for our meeting to start. One guy didn't know we were playing Algeria. One guy was biting his nails. I couldn't sit, but I did.

At the 88th minute we were called in. I couldn't be more upset, at the loss, at the England win, at the refereeing, at the fact I was being removed from a television at this specific time. Waiting for the meeting to start, we explained to some Board members what was happening, that we were about to be eliminated, and they promptly exited for a quick water break to catch the end. They could do that. I could not.

And then it happened, the noise I was listening and secretly praying for, it happened: a loud, unified, I don't care there's a board meeting going on next door scream.

It was awesome, the rest of us left the room, ran (in suits) the 20 feet to the TV, and got there in time to see a pile of Americans celebrating next to a corner flag. It was awesome. We watched the end. I high-fived the Board's attorney. It was awesome.

I look forward to hearing your thoughts. I wonder if some of you had tears in your eyes as I did Friday when Bradley tied the match against Slovenia. I am so happy the US won, but I'm disappointed in today's work life balance. I would have given anything to be in South Africa, the Arlington Draft House, or some Baltimore pub with friends. I surely would have enjoyed the Bulldog.

But it's all good. Just unbelievably, magical, hollywood, good.

1 comment:

  1. I had tears after Bradley's goal and during Landon's post game interview - tears of unconfined joy.

    Mark, I'm really sorry that you missed this one, I can't emphasize that enough. At least you will have a chance to watch the knockout stage - there is still time to create more unforgettable memories.

    ReplyDelete