6.17.2010

The Next "Big" One

So, we have a match tomorrow which we have discussed only in passing. After spending months dissecting our starting lineup against England, it's a little strange to actually have to worry about another game just six days later. That said, we have an equally important match tomorrow morning that I'm pretty excited for. There is some pressure on the US, which is not normal for a WC match. This is probably the first time we've been clear cut favorites in a World Cup match since we lost to Iran in 1998. We all know how that went. I suspect this will be different - 2-0 to the US is my prediction.

So, what are everyone's plans? I will be going to a different bar, Slainte, in Fells Point. I plan on getting there in time to watch Germany play Serbia at 7:30.

4 comments:

  1. Julie: after i read your first sentence, my immediate prediction was 2-0
    Peter: haha... of course

    I do think we'll put away some goals and beat Slovenia. Despite what ESPN commentators are saying about this game being a "must-win" (in order to boost ratings), they're wrong. In only one group in 2006 was 4 points not enough to advance. It's a must-not-lose, but a tie does not end our hopes of getting out of the group. Just sayin', ESPN commentators who should know better (yes, Lalas, I'm looking at you)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Jon G is picking me up at 5:15, we should be at the Bulldog at 5:30 for the Germs and Serbs. I'm guessing 9News will want to interview me around 6:15.

    I think (and pray) we are going to see more goals in the second round. U.S. 3, Slovenia 2. Landon Donovan will be man of the match.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Second game of a tournament is the most important. Bradley pulls out all the stops, US 4 Slovenia 0. Then he can rest his starters so they can play in the knock out round.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I wish I shared my father's optimism, but I do think we will pull out a win. Slovenia is bad team, but its not that hard to play for a tie. Ultimately we win 1-0.

    Gee, I wonder where the Swiss got the blueprint for beating Spain?

    ReplyDelete